Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The last Polaroid lifts...


...For now, anyway. Here’s the last of the panoramic pieces I made. Just finished it yesterday. This one was a real pain in the butt to make. It’s made from five separate Polaroids, but it took eight photos to make it. Three of the photos fell apart when I was doing the lift, so I had to reprint the ruined photo, wait 24 hours for it to dry, then attempt another lift. As a result, this one took over eight days to do.
I think it turned out pretty well, despite the problems.

Here’s a couple of single image lifts I made while doing the panoramas.

The first one is a photo taken at the Exhibit Museum in Ann Arbor. The second one was taken at the Field Museum in Chicago. I really like them both, especially the second one. That one is being used in a promotional brochure about upcoming events in the Fine and Performing Arts Center at Moraine Valley Community College, where I teach. I’ll be doing a post-sabbatical exhibit at the gallery there next spring, March 27-April 17.

I might return to Polaroid lifts, but I want to start working on some other processes first. I’m about to start making large negatives on my printer, to use for alternative process printing. I’m planning on starting with cyanotypes, but want to start working with gum bichromate as well. I’ve got a lot of negatives made with my Holga and Nishika toy cameras (see earlier posts for some examples), and want to use some of those images to make my digital negatives.

In other news, I’m going out of town for a few days. I’m going to Ann Arbor. The huge Ann Arbor Art Fairs are this week. My mother and sister exhibit at this fair, and I go to help them run their booth. It’s always a fun time, I get to see old friends from when I lived in Ann Arbor. This time, I’m planning on going back to the Exhibit Museum to do some more shooting as well.

No comments: