As I mentioned here a couple of posts ago, I’ve been taking lessons in screenprinting. The printmaking instructor at the school where I teach has been giving me lessons in her basement studio. I’ve learned quite a bit in a short period of time, and while I still have more to learn, I’ve been happy with what I’ve been doing so far.
I’m not going to go into a lot of detail about the silkscreening process, but I’ll share images and discuss them a little.
This is the first real print I made. It uses the drawing-fluid method of screenprinting. I was interested in printing over a background image, so I made a 50’s inspired design that had a lot of space. Not the best piece I’ve ever made, but it served it’s purpose. Here’s a test print on newsprint, without an image behind it:
You’ll notice it didn’t print real well-it’s uneven on the left side and along the top. This was a 13 X 18 inch print, and the screen I was using was 16 X 20. What I didn’t know at the time is that you should leave a larger border on the screen around the image you are trying to print. I kind of like the way this looks, however. The flaws in printing add visual interest.
Here’s a few more versions of this print. I printed 13 X 18 inch photos on my inkjet printer, and silkscreened the image on top of them.
This was printed on top of a photo of moss I took while on vacation last month. I like this one quite a bit.
This is printed onto a black and white photo of grass. It’s ok, but I like the other ones better.
This one is printed onto a photo of ferns I took when in Hawaii a couple of years ago.
I added a clear gloss coat over the black, which as you can see in the close up, was out of registration.
I made a second version on the same photo, and on this one, the gloss coat is better registered. It’s my favorite of these prints.
I’ve got several more prints to share, I’ll post more over the next few days.