Friday, October 7, 2016

Maquette


Maquette, 2016
Collage on book cover
Prints, shirts and other stuff here

I made this collage last weekend. Finding titles for my work is one of the more difficult parts of being an artist. When working on this, the word 'maquette' kept getting stuck in my head. A maquette is a sketch or model used by sculptors when designing a piece. I don't know why this reminded me of a maquette, but not long after I finished it, I remembered the Spirit of Detroit sculpture by Marshall Fredericks. It's been easily a couple of decades since I've seen that sculpture in person (it's in downtown Detroit), but I looked it up on Google street view and took a screen shot:


My collage doesn't really look like the Spirit of Detroit. It does have a mid century feel, however (Spirit of Detroit was completed in 1958), and the green of the book cover reminds me of verdigris, so I titled it Maquette.

No comments: