Thursday, September 3, 2020

Weekly Shooting Excursion VIII: Small Town Mid-Michigan

My eighth weekly photo shoot was quite different from the others I’ve done this summer. I visited my sister, who lives outside of the small Michigan village I grew up in, over July 4th weekend. She was at the tail end of a five week long furlough from her job, and I had been socially isolating as well, so we discussed it and realized we both felt safe having me visit.

The town I grew up near is in the middle of mid-Michigan farm country, miles away from anything. There’s really nothing much at all to do, which makes for a relaxing change of pace, as I’ve lived in Chicago for over twenty years now. It also means that I can’t shoot the things I usually do, but I always bring a camera when I visit, and spend some time just wandering in and around her large yard shooting the foliage and rural scenes. It was baking hot and humid the entire weekend, so I didn’t even do a lot of that, but did manage some decent shots. Most of them are variations on a bit of foliage isolated against a blurred out background, and I don’t shoot that type of photo often, so it’s fun to revisit that shooting technique.

I also accompanied my sister for a quick trip into town, just a couple miles away, and shot some photos while she was running a quick errand. The town is so small I was able to cover the entire main street business district (such as it is) in less than ten minutes!


Here’s the best of what I shot.













 Shot with a 4-lens Nishika N8000 film camera.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really nice! You make my weeds look so glamorous, it's nice to see them through your lens.