Thursday, July 2, 2020

Weekly Shooting Excursion II: Rainy Blue Island Night

A few days after I pushed myself out the door to shoot along Olde Western Ave. in Blue Island, I went on my second 'make myself go out shooting to stay sane during the pandemic' shoot. This one was spontaneous-rain storms moved in to the area right as it was getting dark, and I love shooting in a city on a rainy night, so I grabbed my camera and returned to Blue Island. This time, I stuck to the downtown area, a stretch of Western Ave. a few blocks long. I’d done this same thing-shooting in Blue Island on a rainy night-almost exactly two years previously, and while I didn’t want to repeat myself, I knew I’d get good shots there, and it’s close to home. Comparing these to the photos I shot two years ago, I’m pretty happy. There was more rain during this shoot, leading to wetter streets and more light reflecting around. I think I’m also better at post processing now, especially minimizing the annoying orange-yellow hue produced by the street lights in many cities (Chicago is in the middle of a multi-year plan to replace all it’s street lights with LED lights, which are more energy efficient and more neutral in color, so that might not be an issue much longer).

Here are my favorites from this shooting excursion. 










No comments: