Monday, January 4, 2021

Weekly Shooting Excursion XIV: Oak Forest

I’m quite a ways behind in writing about my weekly summer shooting excursions. The photos in this post were actually shot in mid-August. These things happen when you work full time. I’m just grateful that I have a job right now. These photos were shot in Oak Forest, a suburb south of Chicago. This was one of those ‘combine a photo shoot with an errand’ outings that also comprised a couple of earlier shoots. My car was due for a biennial emissions check, and the closest facility to where I live is out in the middle of nowhere. I took a look on Google Maps, looking for anything that might be a little photogenic, and found that Oak Forest, a suburb just a few minute’s drive from the emissions testing facility, has a small, kind of downtownish looking area. So, I headed there.


As is often the case when I find myself shooting in the suburbs, I didn’t seem to engage as fully with the landscape as I do when shooting in the city. There was a bit of an interesting twist to this shoot, however. A few days before I shot these photos, a derecho, which is a very severe and long-lasting storm, blew through the Chicago area. It was very severe-about half a block from my house, a huge tree blew over in a neighbor’s yard, and came to rest on electrical wires. Cleanup crews were so overworked that it was several days before it was removed-I’m surprised we never lost power. Oak Forest was in the middle of cleanup when I was there. Electrical and tree removal crews were working in several locations, and I saw a few storefronts that had sustained damage. I was actually asked three times if I was “the guy from the insurance company” when I was shooting photos of buildings. With all the cleanup, there were people out, but not enough to worry about social distancing.

My car passed the emissions test, by the way.


Here are my favorites from this shoot.

























 

No comments: