Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Great Idea


I was surfing the web a few weeks ago, probably on one of the photo blogs I read (although I can't remember for sure) when I saw something I was immediately interested in. Photographer Jane Fulton Alt was inviting artists to take one of her photos which she selected, alter it in any way, then send her a copy to post on her blog.

I've always loved the idea of artistic collaboration, even though my experiences with it have sometimes proven frustrating. I also really love the idea of artists sharing their work with other artists and allowing them to remix it (all my work posted to this and my Photo A Day blog have Creative Commons licences which allow you to share and adapt it). This project, allowing for collaboration and remixing work, was really appealing to me.

My piece for this project is at the top of this post. The landscape photo inside of the larger image is Jane Fulton Alt's image. I like her photo, so much so that I had a bit of a creative block when trying to figure out what to do with it. I finally setled on doing a piece similar to some collages inspired by pareidolia I've been making sporadically over the past year or so.

Here's the post on Alt's blog where you can see all of the entries. Mine is near the bottom of the post. The good news is that she's doing round two. Read the bottom of that post for info on how to participate.

No comments: