Thursday, December 5, 2019

元気ですか'



元気ですか'
iPhoneography, 2019

Apps used: Phonto, Circular, Snapseed


I made this piece in about ten minutes a couple days ago. I was basically revisiting some photo apps on my iPad that I hadn't used in a while, and this was the result. The layout and main construction was done in Phonto, an app I quite like, even if I don't use it much.

The title, 元気ですか' (pronounced genki desu ka), is Japanese for 'how are you?'. Well, it kind of is, anyway. Translation can be difficult at times, and there's a lot of nuance lost when translating '元気ですか'' as 'how are you'. If you want a lengthly discussion that goes into all the nuance of that Japanese phrase and the ways it is used, look here. The pronunciation link above actually is for 'お元気ですか' (o-genki desu ka), which is the formal version you would use when speaking to a coworker or someone you don't know too well. I just liked the basic, Japanese 101 phrase with the rather grotesque photo in the piece, which is why I put it there.

No comments: