Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Recent Work Roundup: Van Dyke brown prints

As promised, here’s some recent Van Dyke brown prints.


I love this one, it turned out really well. The photo was taken in a storefront window in San Francisco’s Chinatown.


Here’s one that didn’t turn out so well. It’s a panorama shot at the Field Museum here in Chicago last summer. It’s a large piece, four separate 13 X 19 inch negatives were printed to make it. Unfortunately, it’s streaky and lacks contrast, and the image just seems difficult to read. I was going to do a second large piece like this, but I’ve put it on hold.


I like this shot a lot. It’s a storefront church around 93rd St. and Ashland in Chicago. I shot it with my Holga camera while on a bike ride this past fall.


This one’s kind of a throwaway. The previous image of the storefront church is a 13 X13 inch print, and I didn’t want to waste the 13 X 6 piece of transparency left over from printing that negative, so I threw this together quick. taken in San Francisco’s Chinatown, it’s not a bad image, but I’m not sure I’ll use it.

I had a bad print session a couple of weeks ago. I made the three following prints and like them all, but they all need to be reprinted. I posted the original Polaroid lifts of these images here.

I scanned those lifts, and printed negatives of them to make these Van Dyke brown prints.





No comments: