Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Photo A Day

I’ve started a new blog, which I will be running along with this one. It’s called A Photo A Day. The title tells you exactly what it is. I plan on posting a new photo (nearly) every day, and writing a few comments on each photo.

As anyone who works in the photographic medium knows, for every photograph you end up using, there are several that never get used, and exist only as an unprinted negative stuck in a binder or a digital file on a hard drive. I say ‘several’, but really, it could range from just a few unused photos to literally hundreds. The point is, there’s a big drop-off between what is shot and what is used. It’s not an issue of quality. Many of these shots are interesting or good. It’s more an issue of editing.

That’s where this blog comes in. By posting a new photo every day, some of those ‘orphaned’ photos get seen and appreciated. Yes, I know I could just open a Flikr account and post my photos there. I may still do that at some point, but I have several reasons for not doing so now (I won’t bore you with the details). We’ll see how the new blog works out first. I’m considering selling prints of the photos I post in A Photo A Day, but haven’t worked out the details yet. If you see something you’re interested in, let me know.

Lightbender is still, and will remain, the place where I show my more serious work, discuss work in progress, and post about art in general. A Photo A Day will keep me focused on regular posting at times when my studio work is going slowly (like right now).

Comments and suggestions are always welcome. I appreciate hearing from you.

No comments: